Sunday, February 26, 2012

I Went to Harvard

I’ve got this weird little thing I do when I travel. I like to visit different colleges and universities around the country and buy a T-shirt on campus. It all started several years ago on a “New England in two days tour”. I stopped by Harvard and walked around the campus; taking in the history of it all. When I left, I bought a T-shirt from the Harvard bookstore. It seemed like every time I wore that shirt, someone would ask, “Hey, did you go to Harvard?” 

“Yes,” I would say, “I sure did.”

Anyway, I made it a point to visit the University of Alabama before returning home from a recent trip. As I was walking around the campus, I went into a coffee shop and there on the wall was this huge chalkboard. On the chalkboard was a drawing of the mighty Paul “Bear” Bryant, wearing his legendary checkered hat. Next to him were these words:
Never quit. It is the easiest cop-out in the world. Set a goal and don't quit until you attain it. When you do attain it, set another goal, and don't quit until you reach it. Never quit. Bear Bryant

Another famous coach is known for these words:

Winners never quit and quitters never win.
Vince Lombardi

Our business is represented at times with our logo on a single light bulb. Did you know it took Thomas Edison 10,000 tries to succeed at getting the light bulb invented. When asked about the failed attempts, his reply was that he didn’t fail; he just found 9,999 ways not to make a light bulb. Note what Edison says about quitting:
"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up.
The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time."
Thomas A. Edison

If I am to learn anything from these great American winners I think it is this:

Winning is inevitable, to those who persevere.

BELIEVE,

Gordon P Walker

FYI: the above was written using 323 words, equaling the amount of total career wins of Bear Bryant. I wasn’t prepared to match Edison’s attempts at the light bulb.


No comments:

Post a Comment