Monday, February 27, 2012

Meditating Squirrel

I spent some time today meditating. That's right, I said meditating. I threw my favorite quilt down in the backyard and no sooner had I straightened out the corners, the dogs had found their spot, circled it a couple of times (why do they do that?) and then laid down. The older one was quite content to lay there and take in the different scents as the Spring breeze pushed them across our yard. The younger one, our A.D.H.D. dog, curled up next to me ….. SQUIRREL!

So I just sat there. I sat with my legs crossed, or as we said I was a kid, Indian style. Now, I guess that would be a politically incorrect statement or maybe even hate speech to some. I don't care who you are, that's just stupid right there. I close my eyes, rested my hands on my knees and tried very hard not to think. For those of you who may be wondering the answer is no. No, I didn't hold my hands in some ritualistic fashion or chant ooohm either. I just sat there. I sat there and tried not to think about anything. That's hard for a guy who has A.D.D.

I had no agenda.

I wasn't looking for any answers.

This would be a pretty safe experiment for me. Sheri and Madyson were out of town for the weekend so I had no fears that I would hear Maddy in the background yelling, "Mom, dad's in the backyard doing something goofy." As I sat there I noticed various colors appearing. Obviously, there was red as a light was filtered through my eyelids. I thought of how the red I was seeing was from the blood cells as they pass through my eyelids. Then I thought how those very same blood cells had also passed through my heart. "That's pretty cool," I thought.

"Okay! Stop thinking," I told myself. So I squeezed my eyelids closed as tightly as I could and wow! An explosion of blues, greens and yellows burst in various patterns; always changing; always moving. "Stop it, A.D.D. boy. Stop thinking.” So I relaxed and the red hue returned and I sat there thoughtless.

Then it seemed like a thought wanted to enter my mind and I really tried hard to keep it at bay but it finally broke through whispering, "Restore the joy of my salvation." What? "Restore the joy of my salvation." So I started praying, "Father, please, restore to me the joy of my salvation." And then the phone rang.

After the phone call I looked up the verse that says "restore the joy of my salvation,” and guess what? I got it wrong. It doesn't say that. It says, "Restore to me again the joy of "YOUR" salvation.” That's quite a bit different.

I don't have any salvation without the one who provided it in the first place. Who am I to think I could restore it anyway? I have absolutely no chance of restoring it myself.

This was a good exercise for this A.D.D. boy. I learned something very valuable today that.....SQUIRREL!

No comments:

Post a Comment